This is the second part of our technology conversation with Jonathan McKee and we dive deep into current realities and practical action steps. If you missed part 1 of our conversation, here’s episode 59. Jonathan McKee is the author of over twenty books and has over 20 years youth ministry experience speaking to parents and leaders worldwide. Free resources at https://thesource4parents.com/
Jonathan’s Featured Books:
The Teen’s Guide to Social Media & Mobile Devices 21 Tips to Wise Posting in an Insecure World
If I Had a Parenting Do-Over: 7 Vital Changes I’d Make
- Common Sense Media has a study from 2015 >> teenagers average 9 hours per day of media consumption
- In 2012 Americans crossed the 50% mark for smart phone owners
- 12-17 year olds… 89% of them have a smart phone
- We Listen to Music For More Than 4 1/2 Hours A Day, Nielsen Says – more info
- Adults average 10 hours and 45 minutes per day on media
- Parents spend more time looking at a screen than talking with their kids or their spouse
- Anxiety, depression and teen suicide… Mental health is taking a dive and all the studies are saying that smart phones are playing a big part and self-esteem is at an all-time low
- The more time you spend on your device and especially social media, the more depressed you will be
- The average kid gets a smartphone at 10.3 years old
- Instagram and Snapchat only allows kids 13 years old or older (COPA privacy law)
- Free resource from Jonathan McKee: Answering 30 top questions from today’s parents
- No mater how many parent controls you have, you can’t block everything.
- The best parental control is conversations with your kids
- Guide for parental controls from Common Sense Media
- How do we start having conversations and teaching truth in this world of lies?
- If we teach our kids truth, it’s going to equip them when they are exposed to the world’s lies.
- Three Types of Parents: (Alexandra Samuels study with 10,000 parents)
- Media Mentors
- Sound Engineering:WADE B PRODUCTIONS
- Episode Music:Brent Haglund